Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week Six

I recently came across this article, called "The Start-Up of You," by Thomas Friedman:

http://http//www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/opinion/13friedman.html?_r=4&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha212

The article discusses how our generation has to be innovative in forming their jobs, as opposed to taking the conventional approach to job hunting that our parents did. Most jobs are not as defined now as they have been in the past, which is both inspiring and intimidating to think about as a student graduating from college. There is no longer a cookie-cutter, linear progression of steps that post-grads "should" take to be successful. That being said, it is important for us pending seniors to be proactively thinking about what we are looking for because the "obvious" path is no longer so obvious...

In trying to find a starting point in my job search, there are a few factors I will keep in mind. Firstly, I really enjoy working with people. Most of my engineering classes have been structured around working with a team, whether it is to solve a problem set or work on a group project. I have come to appreciate and even thrive on the dynamic that evolves when being an integral member of a team. In particular, I love working on teams that have people with diverse areas of expertise, which brings me to my second important consideration. I would like a multi-disciplinary job. I have always been a curious person. Working with people from different professional backgrounds and working on projects that require a broader focus are opportunities to learn about areas outside of my studies. I chose my major (Manufacturing and Design Engineering) in the first place because of how it incorporates mechanical, industrial, and design engineering. I would be most stimulated by a job that requires a variety of skills and fosters the opportunity to learn. Another important consideration for me is commuting time. Last summer, I had an internship that required me to take 5 means of transportation to and from work, taking about an hour and a half each way. Though I did view my morning commute as an opportunity to wake up, I was incredibly frustrated by the evening commute. Regardless of how good my work day was, my happiness was frequently sub-par by the time I got home, particularly when delays would extend my commute to 2+ hours. I have decided that if the job is worth it, I will be happy to relocate. With these thoughts in mind, I will be able to approach my job search with more direction and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment