Sunday, July 10, 2011

Week 3

I first met Mike Dost during my first week at LR when introductory meet 'n greets were still the daily norm. We had a casual conversation - actually, I awkwardly nodded my head and listened to Mike Dost and my manager Mike Alm talk about golf, a sport I knew little about. At the end of the convo, Mike Dost and I exchanged pleasant "nice to meet you's," and I took away from the conversation that this man has an immense passion for golf.

Mike's conversation at the Lunch and Learn shifted gears a bit and focused on his experience working in the OMB in the White House and his career path thereafter. The general atmosphere reminded me of Week 2's Lunch and Learn - the summer scholars listened to Mike's story and once again we felt reassured that career changes are okay and these instances signify a moment of evolution rather than regression or defeat. Throughout the conversation, it became clear that Mike's career triumphs were attributed to his keen ability and experience in problem-solving and critical-thinking. It also became clear that Mike did not arrive at these plateaus without the unwavering support of his wife - "I have a great wife" - who fueled his highs and, most importantly, cushioned his lows.

I take away a valuable story about finding a sense of balance. Love the work that I do, but have an unwavering love for something else, too. For Mike, his family and golf are the something else's that color his life and create a peaceful harmony between his professional career and personal life.

It's not hard for me to know what I love; I've found it in my family and friends and my affinity for fashion. However, similar to many career-driven college undergrads, I'll need to keep these things near my heart and to remember that the little and simple things in life are as equally important as those that are greater than me and beyond my immediate control.


No comments:

Post a Comment