Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week Six

When mentioning the job search that awaits me this fall, I have been met with many a pity shrug, eyebrow raise, and squeaky wishes of “good luck.” With such enthusiastic responses, I have been conditioned to think of my needs and interests as secondary, always behind those of the employee who is gracious to hire a recent grad in today’s job market. However, Wednesday’s panelist Julie Jacobs reminded us of the importance of being a little selfish in the job search—keep me in mind when looking for a job. This approach, she explained, will not only help us in narrowing down our application prospects, but it also ultimately will lead to greater success once on the job. Convincing enough? I think yes.

So, that in mind, I have started a little Christmas list of first job wishes, one written to the all-powerful and oh-so-generous Santa of the job world today, also known as my future employer. It goes something like this:

Dear Mr. Claus,

I know you have been quite busy these days, but I have been on my best behavior the past four years and hope you have a bit of time to review my wish list. I am not asking for too very much, but if I find the job package described below under the tree, I will be the happiest girl in the world.

This package does not need to be big, shiny, or perfectly wrapped. Instead, it is only the contents that will bring a huge smile to my face. There, inside the box, I hope to find an entry level job with a program or position perfect for a recent grad seeking to gain a broad understanding of business. This program will offer guidance, great training, and support from more experienced employees, and it will give me those skills most useful and applicable to the business world. Secondly, this supportive environment will come with other recent grads ready to work on a team. We will learn together, grow together, and succeed as we tackle a variety of projects. Finally, while ideally this job will start in an urban U.S. city (no offense to the North Pole), it hopefully will include a global component, one that allows me to uphold my dream to work in France. Whether a European assignment lasted 8 weeks or 2 years, such an opportunity would fulfill my passion for travel and all things French. Together, this package is both practical and idealistic, and if granted, would provide me with all I need to launch a successful and happy career.

Thank you for reading this list, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment