Friday, August 12, 2011

Week 7

Full time employment at Heathrow Scientific has definitely been way more challenging than a typical quarter at Northwestern.

Its all about the adjustments- I have been going to school for my whole life, this is the first time I have been working a traditional 9-5 job. I wouldn’t say that filming myself starring in product videos (such as the wonderful Mini Bin Foil Dispenser!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfVA9h0bgqw) is as mentally challenging as some of the typical classes at Northwestern. Yet, its something completely new and I rarely have to teach myself how to do something from the ground up. All the work from recording videos to working with a team on a presentation is all in such a different style from traditional college work, that this summer has definitely been more challenging.

Furthermore, mentally challenging is only half the game here. The physical challenge of waking up at 7 in the morning far out ways anything at college, where my normally class starts at 11, and even that isn’t always motivation enough to get out of bed… There is just a completely different mindset from taking 2 hours of class a day to going to an 8 hour workday 5 days a week that has been a difficult adjustment.

All in all though, this summer has certainly been a worthwhile challenge to undertake. I am going to have to join the “real world” soon enough, so getting this first experience under my belt should go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment